Dr. Sáenz is a licensed psychologist, author, and emotional intelligence expert, Dr. Adam Saenz has dedicated his career to helping teachers and other school leaders navigate stressful situations and build relationships through the art and science of emotional intelligence (EQ). Dr. Saenz has worked in collaboration with the College of Education at Texas A&M University. He has also lectured at Texas A&M’s Mays Business School. Among his publications are the best-selling The Power of a Teacher, Relationships That Work, and his most recent book, The EQ Intervention: Shaping a Self-Aware Generation Through Social and Emotional Learning. His Educator Assessment of Social and Emotional Learning, or EASEL, is one of the first SEL assessments built specifically for teachers.
THE NATURE AND PREVALENCE OF STRESS HAS CHANGED AND IS INCREASING DRAMATICALLY
As the social emotional needs and have increased, the challenges for teachers and educators has become significantly complex. Emotional intelligence needs to be a priority in schools. How do we:
- Move beyond the ‘carrot and stick’ strategies of yesteryear
- Resist using special ed as the resource for SEL challenges
STRESS IS ENERGY. HOW DO WE MAKE IT HELPFUL INSTEAD OF HURTFUL?
In this video, Dr. Sáenz helps us:
- understand the potential of experiencing a ‘rust out’ or ‘burn out’
- experience our ‘best me’
HELPFUL AND ADAPTIVE STRESS MANAGEMENT RESPONSES
In this video, Dr. Sáenz helps us understand:
- The impact of engaging vs. disengaging
ARE YOU A LIFE GIVER OR A LIFE SUCKER?
Steps for leaders:
- Leaders need self-awareness and self-regulation strategies to avoid damaging and toxic behavior and ways of thinking
- Leaders need to confront toxic behaviors
HEALTHY AND EFFECTIVE CONNECTIONS TO OTHER PEOPLE
Leaders need to pursue establishing a ‘Dream Team that create balances in the following kind of teammates:
- The Sage
- The Hero
- The Caregiver
- The Everyman
PRACTICING EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE HELPS US BECOME BETTER IN ALL WE DO
- Why are we stressed?
- What is stress?
- What should we do to manage stress?
- What is a dream team?